02 January 2008

Gun Ownership

I am now the owner of a Model 59 9mm Smith & Wesson double-action pistol. I inherited it from my dad when he died, but I did not take possession of it until this past week. My uncle held on to it for me until I could prove to him that I knew how to handle it and how to operate it. The wife and I went with him and my aunt to a shooting range near Denver last week where we both demonstrated basic proficiency and an adequate knowledge of gun safety. With a TSA-approved case and lock to contain it, we brought it home on the return flight after getting it inspected.

In a way, it's kinda weird given my long-standing aversion to violence. However, it is my right and range shooting is actually pretty fun as long as everyone is safe about it. With my Model 59, I actually got several dead-center hits on the target. With my aunt's .38 Special, I was able to keep up with my uncle in making torso hits. With my uncle's .45 Combat Commander, he pretty much smoked me... but it is his gun. :)

I need to talk to my martial arts instructor to get the name of the range here in Houston that he likes. They teach safety and maintenance classes, which I need to learn. Now that the gun has been fired, I need to make sure that it is cleaned soon.

No comments: